<--! !-->

<--! !-->

Sunday, June 14, 2015

SYDMAKES: SWEET AS HONEY ICE CREAM

It's been a real good weekend so far. Even if the weather here in Las Vegas has been in the 100s, it's still a good day indoors. 100 degree weather calls for something cold and maybe sometimes something creamy. A few weeks ago, I made this really interesting flavored ice cream from Ample Hills Creamery's cookbook. The Sweet as Honey ice cream was a brand new flavor to me, thanks to the honey comb mix-ins. Anywho, let's get on with the recipe. 


3 egg yolks, 3/4 cup of organic cane sugar (I had organic cane demerara sugar, still had the same effect), 1/2 cup of skim milk powder, 1 2/3 cup of whole milk, and 1 2/3 cup of heavy cream. 

Making ice cream is not a new thing to me, but adding in milk powder was something completely different. I read in the cookbook that by adding the milk powder, it thickens the recipe and adds to the creaminess. 


Mix in the milk, milk powder, and sugar. Mix until all the milk powder has dissolved then stir in the cream. Clip a candy thermometer and stir, when the heat reaches 110 degrees Fahrenheit, turn the heat off. Now this is where the egg yolks come in. Normally I just throw the egg yolks in and stir until it's of a custard-y texture, but the recipe called to temper the eggs. Pour some of the mixture into your egg yolks and stir until all dissolved and thoroughly combined. Pour it back into the cream mixture, clip the candy thermometer, and return to the stove on medium heat. When the temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit, you're good. 

Prepare an ice bath in your sink, and transfer the cream mixture there to rapidly cool down. 


Now this was where my favorite part was, making the honeycomb. 


2 cups of organic cane sugar (again, I used demerara, same effect) 1/4 cup of honey, 7 tablespoons of golden syrup, and 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of baking soda. 

Golden Syrup is something I could not find for the life of me find in my local grocery store, so I looked up alternatives to it. I read somewhere that if you mix equal parts honey, to equal parts corn syrup, you mostly get the same effect. I did exactly that and for the most part, it worked out well.


In a large saucepan, whisk to combine the sugar, honey, and golden syrup mix with 2/3 cup of water. Clip a candy thermometer in and set the heat to medium-high. Continue cooking until the mixture hits 305 degrees Fahrenheit. Do be careful, the mixture will spit and bubble so as much as you can, stir as quick as possible to avoid getting burns.  

Once it hits 305 degrees, take it off the flame and with a whisk, vigorously mix in the baking soda for a few moments, and watch.


My whisk looked really cool, lol. 


The honeycomb mixture will stop growing at this point and look like the surface of the moon. 

I forgot to take a picture of when I transferred this to a buttered cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, so just imagine!! When I transferred it to the cookie sheet, I spread it evenly and quickly to avoid it solidifying immediately. I placed it in the fridge and let it cool for 30 minutes. 


I crushed up the pieces and let it aside for a bit. I just kind of wish I crushed them up a bit smaller, so that when I incorporated it into the ice cream, it'd be a bit more even. 


Well there you have it! Ample Hills Creamery's Sweet as Honey Ice Cream. To describe the taste, think of it as sweet like honey (lol), creamy, and with a crunch thanks to the honeycomb mix-ins. The taste of the honeycomb is very sweet, a little bitter because I think I cooked it a bit too long, and very sticky. Try this recipe out for yourselves and tell me how it goes, or tell the people of Ample Hills Creamery. 

For more information on Ample Hills Creamery, click here

Thank you for reading!

.s

No comments:

Post a Comment