<--! !-->

<--! !-->

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

CNY 2014

Gosh this post is late, so I do apologize! For all of you who know or don't know, it was Chinese New Year last week. Normally, my family and I just have a simple dinner elsewhere but home and do the like, but this time around, my mom decided to throw a party the day after. So for something simple but delicious, my mom prepared some Shabu Shabu, or how westerners would call it, Hot Pot. 

wait wait wait, Sydney. You're Chinese??? Since when???!! I'm part Chinese, and I think I've been part Chinese since forever?

If you don't know what Shabu Shabu or Hot Pot is, here's a rough definition from good ol' wikipedia. 

Hot pot, less commonly steamboat, refers to several East Asian varieties of stew, consisting of a simmering metal pot of stock at the center of the dining table. While the hot pot is kept simmering, ingredients are placed into the pot and are cooked at the table. Typical hot pot dishes include thinly sliced meat, leaf vegetables, mushrooms, wontons, egg dumplings, and seafood. Vegetables, fish and meat should be fresh. The cooked food is usually eaten with a dipping sauce. In many areas, hot pot meals are often eaten in the winter.

It's kind of sad how Vegas is such a wonderfully and culturally diverse metropolis, but we lack a genuinely delicious Hot Pot place! Maybe Hot Pot will be the new food trend for 2014. Wasn't it ramen in 2013? 

I digress, on to the pictures!


Tangerines symbolize wealth! So we had a bunch of those in a really pretty circular dish thing. I'm not too well with words, so as a blogger I do apologize for my inarticulate way of writing! 



corn, carrots, bok choi, napa cabbage, and enoki mushrooms!

I think one of the things I love whenever my mom throws parties is that there are always unbelievably fresh flowers around. Really puts a refreshing touch to our modern decor. 

 
 

I'm a bit spoiled when it comes to house parties or gatherings. My mother throws such amazing ones that my standard regarding them is really high! Presentation is everything when it comes to my mom's preparation, and she most certainly delivers. 
Hi Mom!

When she called me down for some help I was immediately awestruck with these amazing cupcakes. I posted a picture of it on Instagram and many of my friends thought my mom made them, but alas I did not have the heart to tell them we ordered it specially from my mom's friend! Sorry guys, I guess I was too caught up in the moment. 

 
The tangerines have texture! I appreciate good food and when cute pastry comes around I melt into a puddle of absolute bliss. 

Horse insignia because it's the Year of the Wood Horse :)
Look at that detail! The fondant koi fish are absolutely adorable! I was way too hesitant to eat these but the red velvet cupcake was too tempting. 
Gong Xi Fa Cai!

After doing the initial preparation, my sister got home and finished up whatever was left. I was there to photograph! 

My sister was making a Japanese salad following Grandma Elsa's (My mother's mom) recipe. 

Unfortunately, you can only get the Roasted Sesame Dressing in Japanese convenience stores, or Konbini. Luckily, this Japanese grocery store in the Philippines had it when I visited! 

Kani Salad and Shrimp and Pork Shumai were our appetizers. 

We just had a small gathering, so our guests consisted of my grandma and grandpa (dad's parents), my aunt and uncle, and my mom's aunt and uncle, along with my sister's boyfriend and his sister. Once they came, we went ahead and ate. We were all so hungry! 

I just had to sneak in these two cupcake pictures again. The cuteness, it kills me. 

Hi Dad!
Hello adults! 
Grandpa, Grandma, Dad, Mom, Uncle, and Aunt! I think they're drunk.

I hung out with my sister's boyfriend and his wonderful sister for the most part.
Katrina, Kyle, and my sis. I think Kyle's too excited over ang pao haha! 
The "Soap Opera" shot. lol 
Ended my night with an unusually strong cup of cappuccino. I didn't know it was that strong until I tried going to bed! 

OH AND BEFORE I FORGET, HERE IS A VERY CRUDELY TAKEN OOTD. I think I'll start doing proper ones when I go out more often. 

Do forgive for the sudden change of image quality. This is from my iPhone 5. 

Shirt: Comme des Garçons
Jeans: Levi's 
Shoes: Dr. Martens 1460 in Yellow

I hope whatever prediction you got for Chinese New Year will be filled with prosperous achievements! I know mine will. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment