<--! !-->

<--! !-->

Thursday, July 17, 2014

DINNER AT RX BOILER ROOM

To celebrate my older sister's birthday, we went to Rx Boiler Room which is the first restaurant of it's kind to feature an all Steampunk theme. As a kid who grew up reading various collections of H.G Wells' works, it was spectacular to see the genre celebrated in this manner. What is Steampunk? Well, in short, it is a sub-genre of Science Fiction in which all technology in the future is powered by steam. The world in which the majority of Steampunk literature takes place in mostly features Victorian fashion that utilizes gears, clocks, and goggles, an anachronistic future, and various elements of fantasy. This was up my alley as a very curious 12-13 year old, the entire appeal of this genre and the culture behind it was so engrossing. 


I featured RM Seafood a few posts back where we ate for my mother's birthday. For my sister's, we decided to go here! Since Mom works handling both restaurants, it was about time we finally adventured to this place. 

Everything about the mantle archway my inner nerd scream for joy. 

Unlike the main restaurant down below, Rx Boiler Room is mainly a lounge/bar that offers up tapas. 

from their website: Combining the alchemy of food and drink, Rx Boiler Room is Celebrity Chef Rick Moonen’s spin on classic comfort food. Offering guests a variety of playful creations in small and large plate portions, the menu is ideal for a shared dining.

I don't know why, but with restaurants, I'm always drawn to their ceilings and decor. 
The menu. I liked how they referred to it as their Nourishment Chart. A+ for creativity! 

Happy Birthday! Thank you for making me food and bringing me to cool places! 

I think what I loved the most about the decor was that they had various cabinets around the restaurant that were filled with Steampunk objects. The alchemist-esque bottles, the laced up boots, and various old frames that held pictures of Victorian aristocrats gave off a creepy but fulfilling feel to the restaurant. Places with an ongoing cohesive theme are my favorite. 
The bar. 


I covet this geared clock. The paisley wallpaper as well stuck to the whole Victorian theme. 

The Celebrity Chef himself with the Birthday Celebrant! I guess the perks of having a mother who works so close to someone as talented as Rick Moonen is we get pictures and fantastic food! I've only ever met him once or twice, and Chef Rick is a really cool cat, if you do have the opportunity to ever meet him, you'll know why. 

Anywho, onward to the food! 

We started off with appetizers, the first one we got were these wonderful Kampachi Tartare with Grapefruit fish tacos that were cased in a Taro Root shell. Gosh what I would do to eat these again. 

I love the little upside down mason jar with the electronic tea light in it. 

The Taro Root Shells were surprisingly very complimentary to the Kampachi Tartare. 

The kitchen also sent out some amuse-bouche. In this case, Moonen Tater Tots topped with Caviar. 

I had an Arnold Palmer to drink, RM/Rx always has the tastiest Arnold Palmers. 

We continued our appetizers with Rx Guacamole with Big Ass Chips (literally, they were the size of my hand to a little bit past my wrist.) and Bacon Wrapped Bacon-N-Egg. 

Bacon Wrapped Bacon-N-Egg. Toasted Brioche, Tomato Jam, Pork Belly wrapped in Bacon, and Sunny Side Quail Eggs. 

As for my main course, I had the Buffalo Burger. Truffle Tremor Cheese, Red Wine Drunken Onions-n-Mushroom, and Peppercorn Mayo. I also had a side of the Moonen Tater Tots as well. 

What my family had. My sister had the Farm Raised Barramundi (which is on the left). With it came with Green Bean Almandine and Lemons Brown Butter. 

My dad had the Lamb Osso Buco Greek Style. Toasted Orzo, Gremolata, and Ricotta Salata Cheese. 

Mom had the Peking Duck Lettuce Wraps. Hoisin al Orange, Pickled Onions, Cranberry, and Pomegranate Relish. 

I gave my sister the collection of recipes from the famous French luxury bakery and sweets maker LadurĂ©e. LadurĂ©e was created in 1862 and is one of the top premier sellers of the double decker Macaron. Go make me some now! Haha. 

For dessert we actually ordered from RM downstairs. RM offers this massive tray of various sorbets and ice cream, each holding a peculiar flavor. Guess each flavor correctly and the dessert comes free and you win the game! 

Now I won't tell you how many we got right, or what the flavors are but I can assure you that the game is not as easy as you'd expect. Yes, it has flavors that are commonly found like Vanilla and Chocolate, but they also have peculiar and obscure ones like Olive Oil, Nori, and Octopus. 

The experience was absolutely wonderful and I cannot wait to come back. Happy Birthday Ate, I hope you've had a great day so far!! 

.x

No comments:

Post a Comment