<--! !-->

<--! !-->

Monday, July 28, 2014

SYD IN SAN FRANCISCO: DAY ONE

Hello! It's been a week or two since my last update and I do wholeheartedly apologize, it's been pretty busy and hectic! If you follow me on any of my other social media then by now you would have known that I'm currently on vacation in San Francisco with two of my pals Tiffanie and Nikki. We're currently staying with our long-time friend Amber, who I cannot thank her and her family enough for their wonderful hospitality and allowing us to stay with them for these six days.

Planning this trip was a bit of an unreal experience for us actually. Amber visited us last April and the thought of coming out to San Francisco was kind of an idea until Tiffanie and Nikki suggested we actually go. With Amber's approval, the trip was confirmed, booked, and before we knew it we're on our way to the airport! 


Technically, Amber lives in Bay Point, which is a good 30 minutes away from San Francisco and roughly about 20 minutes from Walnut Creek. To describe Bay Point, I'd put it as a modern up and coming neighborhood mixed in with some mountainside views. Gosh, her neighborhood is literally something out of suburban heaven.

We flew in around 11:30 at Oakland Intl. and got to Bay Point around 12:30ish? After Amber picked us up we went straight to her house to freshen up a bit and headed to Walnut Creek. 

See what I mean about the mix between suburban and rural? Going down the road with all the mountains was super fun, we saw cows! 

The Walnut Creek Free Ride Trolley. Looked something right out of Disneyland. 

Downtown Walnut Creek has that "mall-like" feel to it but it's actually not one big outdoor mall. I guess it is because I'm so used to going to outdoor malls that I automatically assume that close-knit stores are associated with one another. The Barnes & Noble bookstore here is huge and I fell in love. 

My parents have visited Walnut Creek before I have and they suggested to my friends and I to eat at this Mediterranean restaurant. I don't know if I was just really hungry or if the food was that good, but damn, I ate my heart out. 

At one point in the day I realized we were all so exhausted but just seeing each other and being in a different place other than home gave us more energy. 

To summarize our exhaustion 
1. We all woke up at 4:30 or 5 that day, having slept at 1 AM.
2. Nikki, Tiffanie, and my flight was scheduled to leave at 10:50 AM.
3. We got to the airport at 6:30.

Nonetheless, we still had a lot of fun with each other. 

For appetizers, they gave us this toasted Pita loaf with a really tasty cilantro and olive oil/balsamic vinegar based dip. Again, I don't know if we were really just hungry or if the food was spot on. LOL 


I ordered a Koubideh Kabob. 

Amber had the lamb shank.

Tiffanie had the exact same thing as me, albeit wrapped in a pita and Nikki had herself a simple Greek salad. 

After eating we wanted to go somewhere to cool down. When you think about San Francisco or Walnut Creek you should picture it being a little chilly right? For some reason, that very day we go there, we brought the heat with us. We looked for some cafes on Yelp and I found one not too far so we headed down there to cool off. 

Cafe La Scala had this rustic Italian vibe to it. It was a nice change compared to the by-the-dozen Starbucks' in Las Vegas. 

The majority of the people were all students or business people going over their schedules. How I wish to be a busy cafe going student one day. 

I ordered a Cafe Mocha while Amber had an Iced Caramel Macchiato. Our verdict? Swell. 

HEY AMBER. 

Once it started to finally get cooler we decided to go forth and go back, while exploring Downtown Walnut Creek at the same time. 
I don't know how straightforward the name Modern China Cafe could get. Amber says it's a smaller P.F. Changs.

It was really interesting to see small sculptures and fountains every couple meters away; they just added to the whole downtown vibe. 

You can't really see the title of the store because of the glare, but we passed by Cream! Amber tells us Cream is a very popular ice cream sandwich shop. We plan on visiting it later on this week. 

I remember that at this point in the afternoon, we were all loopy and just about ready to pass out from the giggles. 

It was a great first day and stay tuned for more! 

Thanks for reading- 

.x

No comments:

Post a Comment