<--! !-->

<--! !-->

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

UNIQLO x PHARRELL x SPRZ NY

I am extremely late on this and if you've already seen this then do go ahead and scroll past. Just kidding, keep reading, I promise you, it'll be a lot more interesting. I haven't blogged in nearly a few weeks and I am so sorry for that! I've been busy enjoying my summer vacation that I haven't really had the time to properly address some things here and there. 

A few months back, hip-hop legend Pharrell Williams collaborated with one of my favorite brands, Uniqlo. His collection titled "I Am Other" derives inspiration from a shared consciousness of creativity and a philosophy of distinctive style. 



Two of my favorite pieces from the collection. I grew up wearing various graphic t-shirts and as I got older, my love for them kind of diminished (I switched to wearing more solids, minimalistic designs). However, after seeing this collection I was in love! I love the mix of both negative space and simple typographic designs. 



I also love the message behind the collection itself and how it promotes creativity. As an artist myself, the idea to conform to an ideal image is simply revolting. I'd rather be the "Other" option than to fit in a standardized generic mold. Like Pharrell's collection states, I Am Other. 

Uniqlo also released a collection titled "SPRZ NY", drawing inspiration that centers around their 5th Avenue NYC Flagship store. I think by far this collection is one of the best Uniqlo has done since they feature legendary artists; some being household names, and others only art connoiseurs would know. 




I was extremely surprised and very happy that Yayoi Kusama was part of the collection. The staple with Kusama-san's works include various degrees of polka dots in symmetrical and asymmetrical patterns. I don't normally wear bright colors but seeing that Kusama-san utilizes them in such a simple manner makes me want to buy them!

Next up is Jackson Pollock. Jackson Pollock is famous for his splattered paintings that are so abstract that I can't really find the words to describe them? I learned about Mr. Pollock way back in my elementary school Art class and all I really got out of the lesson was that one day, he dropped a cigarette on his painting and didn't bother picking it up. Instead, he splattered more paint onto it, and titled it "Full Fathom Five". 




There was really only one shirt that stood out to me in his part of the collection, and that shirt is this. 

And finally, Andy Warhol. Andy Warhol was aptly, the most prominent artist in the 20th century. Warhol challenged the world to see art differently. If you haven't heard of Andy Warhol, please get out of the rock you're living under and do some research. Warhol's most famous works include the Campbell's Soup Can and his rendition of Marylin Monroe in various shades. I'm sure you've seen or at least glanced at them in some form. 


Something about this shirt makes me want to buy it now and wear it to my grave. I have no idea why, but it's just asking to be bought. 


I think the one thing in common all these shirts I've posted and blogged about is that they're all having to do something with repetitive patterns and they all each have solid colors with accents of other hues. I know for sure, that sooner or later some of these will be in my closet soon enough! 

Other artists that are in the SPRZ NY collection include; Stephen Shore, Daniel Joseph Martinez, Matthew Brannon, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Keith Harring, Jack Pierson, Lawrence Weiner, Ryan McGinness, Sarah Morris, and the SPRZ NY Logo Series. 

For more information on Pharrell's "I Am Other" collection and the SPRZ NY Series, check out their website right over here. 



Thank you for reading, and stay tuned for more posts and shtuff. 

.x

No comments:

Post a Comment